ARTisAn Objective® Workshop
MAS06: Lithomex Brick & Stone Surface Repair
1 Day – 8:00am to 2:30pm
Rather than cutting out and replacing damaged or decaying brick and stone, impressive repairs can be achieved by using modern lime-based mortars. Lithomex is a state-of-the-art brick and stone resurfacing and repair material specifically designed to restore the profile, surface finish, texture, and color of the original masonry unit. This workshop introduces participants to Lithomex and the basic techniques to achieve convincing and durable surface repairs for vintage masonry. The lecture, demonstrations, and hands-on exercises review the deterioration phenomenon, selecting repair methods and materials, and procedures to work with Lithomex. Under the guidance of experienced masons from LimeWorks.us, students will also have the opportunity to shape Lithomex and practice creative blending, tooling techniques, and fashioning details to simulate existing masonry. The additional knowledge and skills may enable attendees to cultivate a competitive edge in the growing restoration field. Prior masonry experience is helpful but not required.
After completing the workshop participants will:
- Understand the science behind breathable natural hydraulic lime.
- Recognize the properties of Lithomex that insure compatibility with the host masonry—breathable, porous, flexible, and harmonious thermal expansion.
- Know how to mix, apply, and shape Lithomex using a variety of standard masonry tools.
- Realize how to produce variation in the Lithomex surface plane to replicate the texture of the original masonry.
- Be able to create color shading, introduce veining and mottling, and tool through color banding to achieve convincing effects using Lithomex.
- Review methods to simulate agglomerates and inclusions within masonry units.
The workshop will be held at the historic Millhafen Farm — the headquarters of Craftwork Training Center and LimeWorks.us — located at 3145 State Road, Telford, PA 18969. A nonrefundable deposit of $100 is required two weeks in advance with the balance due at the beginning of the workshop. All the necessary materials and tools will be supplied and a light lunch is provided for your convenience. The program will start promptly at 8:00 am. Please arrive 15 minutes early to complete the check-in process and come appropriately dressed and prepared for hands-on training. To ensure an exceptional learning experience, the class size is limited. However, a minimum of 3 participants is required to hold the workshop.
Please note, last minute registrations (within 48 hours of the workshop date), are not valid until a confirmation email or phone call is sent from our staff.