- Understand the science behind breathable natural hydraulic lime.
- Realize the importance of documentation and condition assessments.
- Be familiar with the conservation materials included in the LimeWorks.us Graveyard Kit.
- Know how to repair loose masonry joints and cracks.
- Recognize when to use Lithomex to patch broken or missing masonry details.
- Be able to work effectively with D/2 Biological Solution to clean discoloration and soiling caused by organic growth.
ARTisAn Objective® Workshop MAS-03 – Grave Marker & Monument Cleaning & Repair Basics
Grave Marker & Monument Cleaning & Repair Basics1 Day – 8:00am to 2:30pmWhile cemeteries are often considered to be perpetual, their most prominent feature, the grave markers, are not. Additionally, deferred maintenance usually accelerates the deterioration of gravestones and monuments which can result in safety hazards. Our preservation practices attempt to keep gravestones and monuments from deteriorating further; respect the significance of original materials and details; and stabilize, repair, and retain features wherever possible to ensure their safekeeping for future generations. To understand basic preservation and stabilization measures, participants will be introduced to the LimeWorks.us Graveyard Kit and practice working with a combination of the products. The lecture, demonstrations, and hands-on exercises review the steps to prepare a natural field-mixed glue to repair small, broken stone elements; using Waterglass to consolidate friable masonry; and choosing the appropriate products and techniques to patch, repair, and clean sensitive stones effectively without causing damage. Students are also encouraged to document any work they perform in the field. Prior masonry experience is helpful but not required.After completing the workshop participants will:
5 stars 3
4 stars 0
3 stars 0
2 stars 0
1 star 0
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may write a review.