- Understand the science behind breathable natural hydraulic lime.
- Be aware of proper wall preparation to safely remove existing mortar and rake and clean joints without damaging the surrounding stone or brick.
- Know how to mix, place, and cure lime mortar properly.
- Recognize common pointing styles.
- Be able to fill, repoint, tool, texture, and brush mortar joints to simulate simple pointing profiles.
ARTisAn Objective® Workshop MAS-01 – Repointing Basics
Repointing Basics1 Day – 8:00am to 2:30pmThe decision to repoint a masonry structure is most often related to some obvious sign of deterioration, such as disintegrating mortar, cracks in mortar joints, loose bricks or stones, or damp walls. On the surface, restoration projects may appear straight forward and intuitive, but there’s no substitute for skill and experience. Good repointing practices guarantee the long life of the mortar joint, the wall, and the historic structure. This hands-on workshop introduces the basic principles and work practices needed to repoint vintage brick and/or stone structures using breathable lime mortar supplied by LimeWorks.us. The lecture, demonstrations, and hands-on exercises cover the properties of natural hydraulic lime mortars; tips for selecting and mixing lime mortars; and cleaning, filling, repointing, and tooling certain mortar joints. Under the guidance of experienced masons from LimeWorks.us, participants will practice the skills on mock-up panels or historic structures undergoing restoration at our facility. Prior masonry experience is not required.After completing the workshop participants will:
5 stars 9
4 stars 0
3 stars 0
2 stars 0
1 star 0
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may write a review.