Restoring Wood Windows
3 Days – 8:00am to 3:30pm
As one of the few parts of a facade serving as both an interior and exterior feature, windows are nearly always an important part of the vintage character of a building. In most structures, windows also comprise a considerable amount of the historic fabric of the wall plane. Wood windows which are repaired and properly maintained will have greatly extended service lives while contributing to the historic character of the edifice. Now, you can put your piece of history back to work with a little help and a lot of guidance from our preservation specialists. The methods we support encourage the retention and repair of original windows whenever possible using old-fashioned craftsmanship combined with modern know-how. During the workshop, participants will practice hands-on techniques to restore a wood sash from start to finish, review routine maintenance measures that may extend the life of historic windows, and learn how to give old windows a thermal tune-up by adding weatherstripping. Prior woodworking experience is helpful but not required.
After completing the workshop participants will:
- Appreciate the steps to take a wood sash through the restoration process.
- Understand how to map and number windows prior to removal.
- Be able to disassemble, stabilize, and reassemble windows.
- Know how to repair or replace window chains or ropes.
- Be familiar with specialized epoxies to repair deteriorated window pieces.
- Recognize the materials, methods, and tools to safely remove old paint and glaze.
- Be aware of painting and refinishing tools, techniques, and materials.
- Realize how to reglaze windows and replace damaged glass.
The workshop will be held at the historic Millhafen Farm—the headquarters of Craftwork Training Center and LimeWorks.us—located at 3145 State Road, Telford, PA 18969. A nonrefundable deposit of $100 is required two weeks in advance with the balance due at the beginning of the workshop. All the necessary materials and tools will be supplied and a light lunch is provided for your convenience. The program will start promptly at 8:00 am. Please arrive 15 minutes early to complete the check-in process and come appropriately dressed and prepared for hands-on training. To ensure an exceptional learning experience, the class size is limited. However, a minimum of 3 participants is required to hold the workshop.